PLAN Calgary’s aim is to promote and develop friendships through the facilitation of building meaningful relationships with people who are committed to supporting each other and to establish a secure future, such as trusts, estates, and will planning, home ownership. We are also known as The RoadAhead Society of Calgary, but now prefer the name PLAN Calgary to confirm our relationship with PLAN and its other affiliates.
Programs and Services
The programs and services we offer all revolve around forming, building and maintaining relationships. This is done by:
- An orientation meeting for newcomers and the general public who are interested in finding out more about PLAN Calgary.
- Family Sharing events which give an opportunity for individuals, their family, facilitators and friends who are members of PLAN Calgary to learn with and contribute ideas that enrich the friendships and future planning of all.
- Providing individuals and families with future planning consultations. This is the initial step required to begin the ongoing work which we are whole heartedly committed to
- facilitating, and
the enduring networks or circles of friendship which keep all individuals safe and contributing to their community well being.
A Personal Network is a group of people who meet together to become the foundation of your future plan. They carry out functions that are difficult for your friend or relative to carry out on their own. For some, this will mean getting practical assistance with housing, employment and recreation. For others it will mean developing closer ties to neighbors and the community.
Personal Networks ensure a safe and secure future for your loved one with a disability and contribute to their quality of life by:
- Advocating on behalf of your relative
- Providing links to others in the community
- Securing and monitoring supports and services
- Spending time with the person
- Planning, dreaming, socializing and having fun
- Providing security and a sense of relief for all family members
- Acting as a resource for executors and trustees
- Proving potential executors and trustees
- Keeping key players well informed
- Acting as representatives and support decision making
- Providing a forum for Network members to support one another
Personal Networks are developed by a PLAN Calgary representative which we call a Facilitator. While the Facilitator is paid, the people involved in a personal network are not. Their involvement is based on caring, friendship and love, and a commitment to work together on behalf of the person with a disability.
- They often include brothers and sisters, family and friends, neighbors, church members and co-workers. Occasionally a professional service provider is involved.
- Personal Networks continue, for the disabled family member, even after the death of the parent or other primary caregiver. They are critical to ensuring trust monies are spent in the best interest of your loved one.
As an affiliate of PLAN, PLAN Calgary is able to provide a unique future planning process for people with disabilities. It is a multi-step process that families can follow to create a safe and secure future for their loved one. Each future plan is tailor-made to meet your family’s needs. It begins with your wishes and dreams for the future and addresses any issues and concerns parents may have.
Each future plan covers the following key areas:
- Will, Estate and Financial Planning
- Long Term Housing Security
- Maintaining Government Benefits
- Personal Relationships
- Making a Contribution
- Alternatives to Guardianship
- Monitoring Quality of Life
- Personal Networks
We work at maintaining effective reciprocal partnerships with a variety of organizations and professionals who have expertise relevant to the areas that interest our membership.
We intend to continue as a resource for all people who have disabilities. We will accomplish this by building relationships with each other and our community. We hope for and welcome your interest and involvement. Together we can do more.